CONSTITUTION OF THE NORTH CAROLINA CHAPTER OF THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF TEACHERS OF GERMAN
The name of the chapter shall be The North Carolina Chapter of The American Association of Teachers of German.
The purpose of this chapter shall be to promote and improve the teaching of German in North Carolina, to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas among teachers of German, and to promote a sense of joint effort and a spirit of cooperation and fellowship among its members.
The NC-AATG is a 501(C3) educational tax-exempt group. All activities and resources of the group center on professional development for teachers and secondary educators within North Carolina as well as educational opportunities for students within the state.
1. Any teacher of German or anyone interested in the teaching of German may join the chapter and the national organization upon payment of the annual dues as specified by the by-laws of the national organization. No one can be a member of the chapter alone. All chapter members belong first to the national organization. Membership will be retained by the continued payment of the annual dues.
2. The annual dues, which include subscription to the official publications of the national association, are payable in September of the membership year for which they are intended. Only members in good standing may exercise the privileges of membership.
3. Graduate and undergraduate students who are certified by the chair of their department may become student members upon payment of the annual dues for student membership. No one may maintain this status for more than a total of six years.
4. A teacher who at the time of retirement has been a member for at least fifteen years may elect emeritus membership. The dues for this type of membership are defined in the by-laws of the national organization.
5. Honorary membership in the AATG may be granted only in accordance with the stipulations in the national constitution.
1. The officers of the chapter are a President, a Vice President, and a Secretary-Treasurer. Candidates for President shall be chosen alternately from the elementary/secondary and the college/university level, whenever possible.
2. These officers shall be elected at meetings of the chapter on the basis of nominations made by the nominating committee and/or from the floor. The President and Vice President shall be elected for two years; The Secretary-Treasurer shall be elected for three years. They are eligible for reelection to the same office for the immediately succeeding term once only. In the event that the President resigns before the end of his/her term, his/her immediate successor shall be the Vice President. In the event that the Vice President resigns before the end of his/her term, his/her successor shall be elected at the first meeting after his/her resignation. In the event that the Secretary-Treasurer resigns before the end of his/her term, the President, in consultation with the Vice President, shall be entitled to appoint a successor for the remainder of the term.
The administration of the chapter shall be in the hands of the Executive Council, which consists of the officers provided for in Section IV. In addition, the ex-President of the chapter shall serve as a member of the Executive Council for one year following his/her retirement from office. Also serving as members of the Executive Council shall be the following individuals, who play vital roles in Chapter organization and activities: Chapter Webmaster, VergnügungsfestCoordinator, Membership Chair, Testing Chair, and German Day Coordinator.
The chapter shall meet at least two times a year. The time and place of meetings shall be determined by the President after due consultation with the membership and with the Executive Council. The members present at any session shall constitute a quorum.
VII. Changes in the Constitution
The constitution of the chapter may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present at any regular meeting. Such amendment or amendments may be proposed by the Executive Council or by written notice to the Executive Council by at least four members of the chapter no later than one month in advance of the meeting at which action is to be taken. The Secretary-Treasurer shall submit such proposed amendments to the membership at least three weeks prior to the time of final action.
By-Laws may be adopted or changed at any annual meeting of the chapter by a majority of the members present, provided that written notice of the proposed changes is sent to all members at least one month prior to such meeting.
BY-LAWS OF THE NORTH CAROLINA CHAPTER (AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF TEACHERS OF GERMAN)
I. Chapter Meetings
Chapter meetings shall normally be held twice during the school year, with one meeting in September or October and one in February, March, or April.
II. Nominations of Officers
At least one month prior to the Spring meeting, the President of the chapter shall appoint a committee of three to present nominations to the offices to be filled by election at this meeting. The members of this Nominating Committee shall come from the membership at large and shall not include any member of the Executive Council. Nominations are to be forwarded to the Secretary-Treasurer prior to the meeting; other nominations may be made from the floor.
III. Election of Officers
All officers of the chapter shall be elected by majority vote. Successive ballots shall be taken until one of the several nominees for any office obtains a majority. All chapter members in good standing are entitled to vote, including members of the Executive Council.
IV. Duties of the President
The President shall be responsible for planning chapter meetings and shall arrange to have speakers with talks of general interests to the members. He / She shall also preside at meetings of the chapter.
V. Duties of the Vice President
The Vice President shall actively assist the President in the work of the chapter, and shall preside at meetings should the President be absent. In the event of the President's resignation during his / her term of office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the Presidency and shall serve out the remainder of the President's term.
VI. Duties of the Secretary-Treasurer
The Secretary-Treasurer shall handle registration at chapter meetings. He / She shall keep minutes and send chapter reports to the Secretary at the national office of the AATG. He / She shall distribute to all members correspondence which is of special interest to the chapter. He / She is to keep accurate records of all collections and expenditures and make these records available to members on request.
Members shall pay dues to the National Treasurer of the AATG.
VIII. Dissolution of the Chapter
The Chapter may be dissolved only 1) at a special meeting called for that purpose, 2) through a vote by a majority of the remaining members of the Chapter or 3) through clear evidence that the Chapter no longer is active.
No member of the Chapter shall be entitled to any distribution or diversion of its remaining property or proceeds. The balance of the money, other property or assets received by the Chapter from any source shall be distributed for exempt purposes to qualifying charitable beneficiaries, preferably the national organization, the American Association of Teachers of German, which is registered as a 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.