I am pleased to welcome you to NC-AATG’s annual German Day, to be held this year on March 6, at UNC Greensboro in Greensboro, NC from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
*Theme*: This year’s German Day is “Deutsch ist Handy !” As always, students participating in skit performances, poster design, and the t-shirt contest must incorporate the theme into their work. The motto will also be part of an extemporaneous speaking prompt.
*Scheduling Restraints*: Each school may participate in all activities, though scheduling constraints will force you and your students to choose some specific activities for each student. We will post a tentative schedule as soon as possible to help you plan.
*Deadlines*: Registration forms are due no later than Monday, February 18, 2013 (Postmarked by Friday, February 15, 2013). Receipt of all registrations will be acknowledged via email. Late registrations will not be accepted. Please mail your registration and fees in a timely fashion.
* Fees * : Required Registration = $2.00; optional t- shirt = $8.00. In other words, $10 gets students t-shirt and the registration fee. Lunch can be purchased either in the dining hall or at one of the foot courts on campus. Teachers and judges who are AATG members get lunch free of charge and are not charged a registration fee. As with student t-shirts, adult t-shirts cost $8 a piece. (Become a member).
* Drop-off and Parking * : Please follow this link for instructions for drop-off and parking! Please note that all events related to German Day 2013 will take place in the Elliott University Center (EUC)! If you have any questions please contact the organizer Dr. Susanne Rinner at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Dining Options * :
Please remember that students will be able to purchase their lunch at any of the food venues in the EUC (of course, they are also welcome to bring their own lunch)!. Lunch for teachers, chaperons, and judges will be hosted by UNCG and the AATG in Kirkland on the bottom floor of EUC! For a map of the EUC, click here.
EUC Food Court (1st floor EUC)
- Salsaritas - $7.00
- Chick – fil – a - $5.50
- Coyote Jacks - $6.50
- Papa Johns - $5.50
- Thai Garden - $7.50
- Sushi - $7.50
Spartan’s Place (basement, EUC)
- Wild Greens - $$7.00
- Subway - $6.50
- Jamba Juice - $4.00
Arrival on Campus
Bus drivers will drop you off at the designated spot. UNCG requires the presence of a police officer who will provide assistance. Please proceed to the Elliott University Center (EUC) where all events will take place.
9-9:30 AM: Registration
Please pick up your registration package and your T-Shirts in front of Cone Ballroom. For teachers and chaperons, I will provide copies of maps and schedules. If you feel your students need these items as well, please provide them with these materials before German Day! Please note that your students will be able to navigate the EUC without a map since we will clearly mark all rooms where competitions are being held.
In order to ensure that all students are able to compete in all competitions they signed up for it is crucial to be as efficient with our time as possible. Hence, I ask the following:
- In general, students should make sure to wait in front of the room(s) of the competitions they have signed up for. They should not count on being able to compete when they choose to "show up," rather, it might be necessary to "wait" in line so to speak. Our UNCG German students will help us direct the traffic.
- Students who do not participate in either the verb or spelling bee should compete in all other competitions between 9:30 and 10:30 AM.
- Students who do not participate in the Kulturpokal should participate in all other competitions between 10:30 and 11:30 AM.
- Schnitzeljagd will take place between 11 and 12/noon, however, I ask that all students try to participate in all other competitions first before participating in the Schnitzeljagd.
Please familiarize yourself with the rules of all competitions.
Please remember that judges' rulings are final and that coaching from the sidelines violates the rules and the spirit of German Day and is hence verboten! Thanks for your cooperation! You may join us for any of the competitions as audience, however, the poetry recitation is a closed event, no audience, please! Competitions for songs, karaoke, and skits are held in rooms that can easily accommodate audiences!
Please make sure that students clearly label their art work, using the form provided on the AATG NC website. Please drop off all art work at Cone Ballroom A right next to the registration table. Please make sure to collect all art work before leaving campus at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I will not be able to mail any art work that is left behind.
All teachers are invited to vote for your favorite art! Art in all three categories will be displayed in Cone Ballroom A between 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM! Please take a moment and complete the ballot that is included in your registration package! Please drop off your ballot at the registration table in front of Cone Ballroom before lunch!
As the schedule indicates, we will open a student lounge between 9 and 12/noon in Phillips in the EUC! We hope this lounge will be an opportunity for our visitors to mix and mingle with our UNCG students.
I have also arranged for two campus tours which will start at 11 AM and 12/noon at Dail Room on the bottom floor of EUC! Each tour accommodates roughly 25 participants, first come, first serve!
During the Award Ceremony, each winner (1.,2. and 3.) will receive a trophy in recognition of his or her accomplishment. We will also read the names of those who receive an Honorable Mention. Time permitting, we will ask the 1. winners in the Categories Songs, Skits, and Karaoke perform on stage.
We will hate to see you leave, nevertheless, all fun will have to come to an end and you will meet your bus at the same spot where you were dropped off in the morning. Again, UNCG requires the presence of a police officer who will provide assistance.
Please remember (and please remind your students) that UNCG is a public campus in an urban setting. Hence, it is important to keep track of all personal belongings at all times. Thanks for your attention to this matter.