Deutsches Wochenende 2012
9.-10. November 2012
August 6, 2012
The 2012 annual North Carolina German Immersion Weekend for advanced German students will be held on November 9-10th at Camp Caraway in Asheboro. The camp is sponsored by the North Carolina chapter of the American Association of Teachers of German (AATG). It is a great tradition going back to 1980. The theme for this year's camp will be “Hau ‘rein!” a theme around foods and eating traditions. Among the events planned are:
- Kennenlernen-Spiel ( a get-acquainted activity)
- Art projects using unusual recipes and/or traditions
- Singing; dancing; games
- Movie Time: Bella Martha (?)
- Pyramidenspiel (vocabulary game)
- Fotoschnitzeljagd (scavenger hunt)
- Staffelläufe (relay races)
- The Goethe Bowl, a quiz bowl in which competitors will have a chance to display their knowledge of the history, culture, and geography of the German-speaking world.
There will be prizes to award donated by German-speaking firms and language organizations.
The cost of the camp is $55, which includes room, meals, and a T-shirt. Campers must bring their own towels, sleeping bags or linens and a pillow. Campers will sleep in bunk beds in their respective rooms (girls’ or boys’). Students should also bring some comfortable shoes and clothing, rain gear, a flash light and a digital camera (one per school). The camp lasts approximately 24 hours, from about 5 pm on Friday until about the same time Saturday.
Payments are due to the teacher by October 19th along with T-shirt sizes and consent forms. At this point the student is committed. Teachers will send in collected money by Friday, October 27th so t-shirts can be ordered and delivered on time. Checks should be made out to RJReynolds HS German Club. Please understand that there are no refunds possible.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,